Keeping the residents of Rockville, MD, safe out on our roads is our #1 priority here at Preferred Automotive. Since 1990, we have done our part to protect you, your families, and your wallets from preventable expenses and hardships. How do we focus on this? For starters, we focus on your vehicle’s timing belt. It’s very important.
To explain it plainly, your vehicle’s timing belt does the synchronizing in order for the engine to function. Over time, belts wear out. So do tires. So do engines and bearings and all sorts of car parts. But, when your timing belt wears out, your vehicle loses traction. Here in Rockville—with our wet and snowy weather—this is especially dangerous.
So, it’s our responsibility to keep up with our vehicle’s “health” to get the most out of it over the years. And, to avoid costly replacements, we want to help you keep ahead of the game.
Most people have to be told when the time has come to replace the timing belt. This is unnerving because you have to depend on someone else to guide you. We get it. Should you choose to bring your vehicle here to our team at Preferred (and we hope you do!), rest assured that you are in good hands. We have been serving the community here for nearly 30 years; we value our neighbors and customers very much. But, to help you in your search for a “mechanic home,” take these few pointers to heart:
1. Ask around. Word-of-mouth and customer referrals are powerful ways to find reputable companies.
2. Check reviews. Get online. Search Yelp, Google, Better Business Bureau, etc. to balance feedback from strangers (and take note of the company responses to good and bad reviews!).
3. Ask questions. If something doesn’t make sense or seems unreasonable, ask about it. This is your money, your vehicle, your time. Remember that.
4. Learn a little. It is always in your best interest to familiarize yourself with your vehicle. Take a stab at the Owner’s Manual. Do a bit of research about the specific make and model of your car or truck. This will help you gain some confidence when you do visit the shop.
Approximately 20% of cars on the roads need new timing belts. That’s a frightening statistic. Are you one of them? Do you know if it’s time? Here are a couple ways to know your vehicle needs to be checked out by a mechanic:
– Crackling: if your mechanic (or you) notice any cracks in the belt, the Rockville timing belt service needs to be replaced immediately.
– Loss of power to the engine: this could be happening due to “hydroplaning” with your timing belt. This means water is not being adequately routed away from the belt and pulleys.
– Noises: Is your car or truck making a new sound? Bring it in. Vehicles do not usually make new sounds for no reason.
Our team wants you safe and confident! Give Preferred Automotive a call. We look forward to earning your business!
Preferred Automotive | 12356 Wilkins Ave | Rockville, MD 20852 | 301-881-8530