Getting your vehicle’s oil changed on a regular basis is one of the most important things you can do to avoid unnecessary expenses in the future. But, it’s important to keep in mind that not every driver handles their car the same or in the same roadways and environment, which affects how often an oil change becomes necessary.
These days, there is much controversy over exactly when an engine’s oil “ages” and needs to be flushed and replaced. The answer is not as cut-and-dry as most believe; thus, the controversy. We have all heard the rule-of-thumb: 3 months/3,000 miles. This is a safe guideline. Many experts suggest 5 months/5,000 miles. But, if you really want to know when to have your vehicle’s oil changed, you will have to pay attention to some variables: how you drive, the condition of the engine, the age of the engine, the outside environment, and the amount of stop-and-go your routine driving entails.
The professionals in Rockville, MD, at Preferred Automotive would be happy to chat with you and determine how often you truly need to visit for an oil change. In the meantime, here are some things to think about:
It’s important to accept there is not an exact science to a timeline for oil changes. Vehicles vary. Drivers vary. Conditions vary. Consider the following, which will require more frequent oil changes:
– What’s your driving style? Be honest with yourself: do you drive like a maniac with jackrabbit starts and late braking? Are you heavy on the accelerator and prone to high-speed driving? The harder and faster you push a vehicle, the more often it will need an oil change.
– Climate: we live in Rockville, MD, so we’re prone to salty air and long, cold stretches of time. Winter weather puts extra demands on your oil filter, too. With regard to climate—it’s important you’re using the right viscosity (thickness/thinness).
– Do you often drive on dirt roads?
– Is your engine old, potentially burning oil?
– Do you haul heavy loads often or pull a trailer?
The WHY behind the oil change
Oil actually undergoes what’s called “thermal breakdown” from operating in such high temperatures. This means it becomes less and less effective as a protective lubricant. A lack of good lubrication means that parts of the engine will begin to wear out, prematurely. Further, oil is an absorption measure to pull water, dust, and combustion byproducts away from the engine. Over time, as the oil becomes saturated, the “debris” will remain in the engine and become corrosive.
Simply put: your engine will not last long. Think of getting your top Rockville oil change as the cheapest insurance policy ever. Fresh oil and routine changes will keep a car running much more effectively than one with old, dirty oil.
Now, when was your last oil change? Come and see us here at Preferred Automotive; where the professionals pride themselves in getting it right the first time, and every time. Make an appointment that’s convenient for you, or stop by for a visit. We look forward to serving your vehicle!
Preferred Automotive | 12356 Wilkins Ave | Rockville, MD 20852 | 301-881-8530