Thought you were done with pass/fail tests after high school graduation? Think again! State inspections here in Maryland are no joke. They require an ASE-certified auto technician to “pass” or “fail” your vehicle based on mandated requirements. These requirements are important not only for the health and longevity of your vehicle, but also for the safety of the environment and of the other drivers and motorists around you.
If you are new to Maryland, there may be requirements here that you are unfamiliar with. In fact, some states don’t require regular state inspections at all. Lucky us; our state does!
Naturally, you want to know what you’re in for when you visit us for your state inspection here at Preferred Automotive, right? Well, let us tell you! When you bring your car or truck here to us, here’s what we’re looking at:
– Vehicle exhaust: we’re looking for popping, screeching, excessive noise, rattling. All of these could mean tailpipe, converter, muffler, or other exhaust issues.
– Tire pressure check: this should be checked any time your car or truck is being serviced.
– Suspension: damaged shocks or struts can lead to all sorts of issues in the near future.
– Tire tread wear: uneven wear can be an indication of alignment issues.
– Wheel alignment: we’re looking for vehicle stability and handling for safety while operating.
– Lights and signals: this is a big safety check; all need to be working properly—high beams, tail lights, signals, hazards, etc.
– Windshield wipers: pretty self-explanatory; either they’re working or they aren’t.
– Belts and tensioners: drive belt and fan or serpentine belt and the tensioner which connects them.
– Air filter: we’ll make sure this is clean of debris and that the air is properly circulating.
– Battery checks: we will assess the liveliness of your battery—meaning we look for connection issues, loose cables, and any corrosion.
– Window tint: the state of Maryland is pretty specific regarding window tints; at least 35% of light needs to pass through and only the top 5” can have tint. Further, red, yellow, and amber tints are prohibited. On SUVs, trucks, and limos, the back windows can have as much tint as you wish.
What to do if you receive a “fail”
First, don’t panic! These things happen sometimes. All this means is that we need to get your car fixed up! In most cases, you will have 30 days/1,000 miles from the initial inspection time to have the items which caused the failure to be addressed and corrected without a new inspection fee. Once you’ve passed, we will issue you an inspection certificate you can bring with you for registration!
For further information regarding Maryland state inspections, check out the following link: http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/INFO/58000ASE/58000-01T.htm
The Rockville, MD vehicle inspection is no joke—because it deals with safety. And, we take safety very seriously! But, it is an easy test to pass! Come visit us here at Preferred Automotive in Rockville and let’s get you Maryland state-ready!
Preferred Automotive | 12356 Wilkins Ave | Rockville, MD 20852 | 301-881-8530