Before registering your vehicle in the state of Maryland, you need to have your vehicle inspected. Most who have lived here in Maryland know this, already. Most also know there are about 1,600 locations throughout the state right now that are licensed to perform vehicle inspections—but, how do you know where to go and what to do to prepare?
Obviously, there aren’t 1,600 locations for state inspections here in Rockville, MD. But, there is one place you can entrust your car or truck: Preferred Automotive. And, we want you to know the two most important things you need to know before you have your Maryland state inspection!
- When to have your car or truck inspected in MD
Here in Maryland, passenger vehicles are to be inspected for two reasons:
- You just moved to Maryland from another state (or country) and your vehicle is registered elsewhere, or
- You just bought a used vehicle, received one as a gift, or inherited one.
The details: if you just moved here, I’d like to be the first to welcome you! Maryland is a lovely place to live and, of course, I’m partial to Rockville because this is my home. Now, you should know that you only have 60 days to register your vehicle and to do that, you must pass a state inspection. In other words, you can’t legally drive here in MD if your vehicle isn’t registered. And, you can’t get your registration without an inspection. Oh, and the state inspection—once you’ve passed—is good for 90 days. If you wait longer, you’ll have to redo it. Note: some drivers who perform driving services like Lyft, Uber, etc. may be subject to an additional Maryland State Inspection, even if your vehicle is already registered.
- The vehicle inspection checklist for Maryland state
It would behoove you to run through your own, personal, inspection “list” prior to bringing your car or truck in. This will save you time and save you from the surprise of failing the inspection. Check out this list (these are easy things for you to inspect):
- Steering: condition and functionality
- Wheel alignment: does your vehicle drive straight?
- Brake system: drum and disc condition, stopping time, brake pads, etc.
- Tires and wheels: tread depth, nuts and lugs condition, wheel condition
- Fuel system: leaks and accelerator operation
- Lights: these must be working properly, including turning signals
- Speedometer and odometer: working properly
- Mirrors: no breaks, clouding, or missing mirrors
- Bumpers and fenders: this includes proper mounting
- Windshield and wipers: no crack in glass and properly working blades
- Electrical systems: this includes the horn and battery cables and hold down
Here at Preferred Automotive, we can handle your vehicle inspection in Rockville, MD and repairs, should you need them! We’re your one-stop-shop! If you need your car inspected and you live or work in this area, come visit us!
Preferred Automotive | 12356 Wilkins Ave | Rockville, MD 20852 | 301-881-8530